Blue Cheese Beef Burgers
Let me say right off this isn’t as much of a recipe as it is a reason why you SHOULD be eating this. Seriously, who doesn’t like a juicy, delicious hamburger?
You can make this fantastic burger with grass-fed beef or even ground turkey to save on calories. We grilled a few on our little charcoal grill and served it on a whole grain sprouted buns with peppers, onions, and mushrooms. However, the ingredient we will focus on today is blue cheese. Yes…blue cheese!
Throughout my childhood, we put blue cheese on various food items at least several times per week. Believe it or not, blue cheese is a virtual wonder food.
In fact, one of the main reasons to use blue cheese is this: animal studies have shown the good bacteria found in blue cheese may improve the function of the hypothalamus to support testosterone production. The saturated fat in blue cheese is also associated with elevated testosterone levels in men.
Before I go any further, this certainly doesn’t mean you should go out and eat all the saturated fat you possibly can. Rather, it’s a great reason NOT to be totally averse to eating it.
Other Benefits Include:
- Blue cheese eaters may have a lower risk of cardiovascular disease
- It may help lower cholesterol
- Fights arthritis
- Reduces inflammation
- Prevents osteoporosis
- Enhances memory, especially in growing children
- It’s a good source of phosphorous
- Has milk protein (for gains of course!)
- Is easier for lactose intolerant people to eat
- Contributes to dental health and fights plaque
- Boosts the immune system
- Is anti-cellulite (one for the ladies—YAY!)
- Has 21% of the RDA of selenium, which contributes to a healthy immune system and fertility in men and women
1 pack grass-fed beef or ground turkey
1 pack of blue cheese (buy on quality, not price)
Whole Grain Sprouted Buns
Note: Add additional vegetables, spices, and sugar-free/low calories condiments as desired. Have fun, be creative!
Now fire up the grill, grab some blue cheese, and make yourself one of these awesome burgers. There aren’t many summer meals out there better than this!
Protein: 37 g
Fat: 25 g
Carbs: 47.5 g
Fiber: 7 g
*Does not including any additional vegetables, toppings, or condiments you may add.